• 580 Virginia Dr., Suite 225, Fort Washington, PA 19034
  • 610-257-7361
  • info@mflpa.com

Modifying Child Support

Petitions to Modify Child Support in Pennsylvania

From time to time, modifying child support may be a good idea. Whether your circumstances have changed or whether the circumstances of the other parent have changed, Pennsylvania’s child support laws and rules allow an order to be modified at any point.

Contents of a Petition to Modify Child Support

You must file a Petition for Modification with the court that issued the original order to modify child support in Pennsylvania. The petition must include the following information:

• Your name and the name of the other parent

• The date of the original child support order

• The reason you are requesting a modification

• The amount of child support you are requesting

• Any other relevant information, such as changes in your or the other parent’s income, employment, or living arrangements

Whether you are seeking child support for the first time or seeking modifying child support that is an exisiting order, our Montgomery County, PA family law firm will guide you through the process with skill, energy, and compassion. Our law firm also accepts child support matters in Bucks, Chester, and Philadelphia counties.

For over a decade, firm founder Inna Materese has focused exclusively on family and divorce law in Pennsylvania. Since 2022, Inna has maintained leadership roles in the Montgomery County Bar Association Family Law Section. She has also presented a variety of Continuing Legal Education courses, including:

— Beyond the W-2: Capturing Compensation (2023)
— Drafting Marital Settlement Agreements (2022)
— “Dysfunctional” Family Law (2021)
— Third Parties in Custody Cases (2020)
— The Math of Divorce (2016)
— Tax Implications in Divorce (2015)

Modifying Child Support in PA - What to Know

Once you have filed the petition, the court will schedule a conference or hearing, depending on the situation, to determine whether to grant the modification. At the conference or hearing, both parents will have the opportunity to present evidence and testimony. The court will then decide whether to increase, decrease, or leave the child support order unchanged.

Here are some additional things to keep in mind when modifying child support in Pennsylvania:

• The court will only grant a modification if there has been a “substantial change” in circumstances since the original order was issued. This is a legal term of art and you should discuss it with your family law attorney before filing.

• Whether or not to file for a modification is a decision that should be made with guidance and expectation analysis from your attorney. The filing of a Petition to Modify opens the door for either parent to seek a modification upward or downward so it is important to understand your own exposure before filing.

• The first step in the process will be a conference where a conference officer will try to help the parties reach an agreement. This step should not be discounted since the conference officer is empowered to enter a temporary support order even if the parties cannot agree on a resolution.

Speaking with an attorney about a proposed support modification is the best way to be prepared and ensure the best result.

Montgomery County, PA Family Law Firm

At Materese Family Law, we are meticulous about your financial details, while never losing sight of the big picture. Whether your support matter is straightforward or requires a complex forensic accounting or business valuation, our focus is on a cost-effective and deliberate approach to your support needs.

Our Montgomery County Family Law Firm accepts child support matters across the county, including: Ambler, Blue Bell, Collegeville, Fort Washington, Jenkintown, King of Prussia, Lansdale, Oreland, Plymouth Meeting, Willow Grove, as well as the Main Line: Ardmore, Bryn Mawr, Haverford, Merion, Narberth.

Pennsylvania Family & Divorce Law

Our Montgomery County family law firm handles child support matters across the county including: Ambler, Blue Bell, Collegeville, Fort Washington, Jenkintown, King of Prussia, Lansdale, Oreland, Plymouth Meeting, Willow Grove, as well as the Main Line areas of Ardmore, Bryn Mawr, Haverford, Merion, and Narberth. Clients also accepted in Bucks County, Chester County, and Philadelphia.

View All Services

Ready to talk?

Submit the form below and we will be in touch shortly. We look forward to learning more about you.